Blackberry crumble cake & we actually moved

It has been a long long time since my last post and I am afraid some of you were thinking I was gone for good. Well the reason for this very long pause was our move to Sweden.... yes, yes you read right, we actually moved from Spain to Sweden and the last couple of months were pretty busy with all the millions things you have to do, when you are moving. 

I will spare you from all the "nice" stories about the last couple of months and all the "nice" feelings we went through till we finally arrived in Sweden,  as it will end up in a super long complaining post, and nobody wants that, right? Certainly there are also some positive sides to the moving too, such as you finally will get a bigger home, you have finally the change to say goodbye to all the unnecessary things you have been collecting over the years once and for all, you can get super creative decorating your new home and you are closer to your family. BUT (which really needs to be written in capitals) you first have to overcome all the stress and emotional moments before you arrive in your new home. And I am not talking about the funny moving company, which changed their previous statement the day our stuff was supposed to be picked up, neither about all the bureaucratic things you have to manage, but about over 10 years living in Spain we were leaving behind us... It is never easy to say goodbye to your friends!!!

We arrived in Sweden well and are still kept busy, which is OK as we are creating our new home and this is most of the times pretty funny. I discovered my interior design skills as well as handmade decoration skills, while my husband discovered his hand-building skills. We actually moved to a country side, which is a change and we are still in the processes to find our way around... mainly including discovering of all the different farmers around, which makes me personally super happy. We also will have a garden in the future... a real garden... so some of my future researches will also include a study on how to plant and grow vegies and fruits.

Now between all the moving and decorating, I hardly came to focus on baking and cooking, so in one point my husband and my son started complaining. Luckily we have a garden with a huge blackberries bush, which were just waiting for us to be picked. And so it was on time for me to lock myself in the kitchen and create something delicious for my boys.... The outcome was a blackberry crumble cake, which made both super happy. Pablo was mainly proud of the fact that he was picking the berries himself and super happy to see them ending up in the cake.

The picture of my post today will be a wild mix of everything, cake, interior decoration, some insights in Pablo´s new room and some of the relaxing moments at the beach.
Blackberry crumble cake
  • 4 eggs
  • 200 gr sugar
  • 100 gr butter (melted)
  • 150 gr yogurt
  • vanilla essence
  • 250 gr flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • fresh blackberries
I managed to make two cakes out of this recipe (using standard sized cake forms). Preheat the oven to 180C. Whisk the eggs with the sugar with a hand whisk, add butter, yogurt and vanilla essence and give it another whisk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk till all ingredients are combined. Grease and line the baking forms with a baking paper, divide the dough between the baking forms. Top it with blackberries, gently pressing them a bit into the dough. I covered the whole surface of the dough with the berries.
  • 30 gr butter (cold and cut in cubes)
  • 60 gr brown sugar
  • 100 g flour
  • 0,5 teaspoon of baking powder
  • vanilla sugar
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and combine them with your fingers till you will get big junks of dough crumble... if your crumbles appears too soft, add some more flour, in case the dough will resemble a sand texture add bit of cold water.
Sprinkle the dough crumbles all over the top and bake the cake for 35-45 minutes, till golden brown. Let it cool off on the cooling rack for 15 minutes before serving. It tastes heavenly warm with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Should you be so lucky and have some leftovers, you will be pleasantly surprised about this case 1-2 days later, as it does improve the taste over the time.

Handmade wooden stool done by me. I was checking pinterest for some ideas and found some handmade wooden projects there, so I decided to do something special for Pablo´s room too. It turned out great and he loves it big time. I had super fun myself and I got hooked up by this idea so much, so I think there will be even more furniture building projects in the future.









Enjoy!


Comments