Waffles for lunch and gorgeous sunset for dinner

Yesterday my mother in law spontaneously decided to do waffles for lunch.... Such a perfect surprise for all of us, especially for Pablo....he would not stop laughing and babbling away being so happy having something else for lunch. He is really enjoying his vacation, being spoiled by his farmor (grandma in Swedish)....

Swedish waffles are slightly different, at least they were to me, when I tried them the first time. In Germany you know them sweet, fluffy and rather thicker. In Sweden however they are thin and crisp and are prepared without any sugar. They can be eaten either sweet, usually with strawberry jam and whipped cream very typical for Sweden or savoury with cheese and ham. Waffles are really a big deal in Sweden, they even have an official waffle day...25th of March is the day where most of Swedish families will be having waffles. A day before my birthday actually, so very fitting, as my husband would always make waffles for us, that way we always have two special days in a row.....


Our favourite combination are waffles with strawberry puree and vanilla ice cream... But you can enjoy it with anything you like, fresh fruits or berries, jam, fruit compote, vanilla whipped cream or with yogurt or quark and herbs, as a starter for dinner or a small snack during the day. What I personally love about waffles is the fact that you can eat them at any time of the day for breakfast, brunch, lunch as we did it yesterday or as a starter or dessert for dinner.

Yesterday, I actually learned a super trick from my mother in law, how to keep the waffles warm and crispy till all batter is finished. Put on the oven to 100 C leaving only the grid oven rack inside, as soon as your first waffles are done put them on the grid into the preheated oven...continue till all batter is finished. It is so simple I know and probably you know it already, to me however it was new.... As I mentioned already, waffles are a very big deal in Sweden and they know all the tricks in the book..


Swedish waffles
  • 50g melted butter
  • 150g flour
  • 1 teaspoon backing powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 400 ml milk
In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Pour in half of the milk, start whisking from the center outward, add the remaining milk mix till all well combined. Finally add melted butter and incorporate it into the batter. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. You shall get rather liquid batter. Pour some of the batter into the hot waffle form and bake till ready. Take the waffles out and put them into the preheated oven...

Strawberry puree topping
  • strawberries (fresh or frozen, if using frozen unfroze them before)
  • 1-2 tablespoons sugar
  • lime juice (optional)
Put everything in a food processor and blend for couple of seconds....till you will get a desired texture...I like it still with some bigger bits of berries.

Quark with herbs topping
  • quark
  • chopped fresh herbs (whatever you like)
  • salt and pepper
Combine quark and herbs, season well with salt and pepper.







Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I loooove waffle, it's against my beach diet of course but I actually bought a waffle pan, never saw it before. So I'll use it instead of doing them in my French waffle toaster.

    Sunset looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment