Saturday "market day" and salmon for breakfast

Saturday is the day where you should go to your town market to get fresh vegetables and fruits from the local farmers. I love doing it, but have to admit that those treats became rather rare, as here in Spain you will find fruits and vegetable shops at every corner with good quality of fruits and vegetables too. However once in a while I am still doing it, as visiting the market remains something special.

As we all got sick last week a special treat was on order, so I decided to visit our local market on Saturday. My boys were still sleeping when I grabbed my camera, bag, money and left home. It was still early in the morning, the air so fresh, no people on the street, the whole town seemed still to sleep. I love those moments and do enjoy a quite walk through the town discovering new nice things our town has to offer and no people who is getting annoyed by my slow walking and looking around. By the time I arrived at the market, I was able to make some nice pictures and decided what we will have for breakfast.

At the market itself all the people seem to be so relaxed and friendly, time seems to stay still, no rush, no stress and there is always time for a small chat. Most of them do know each other, they would greet each other with a smile and "kiss kiss on the cheek", will ask for the well being of the family and share their plans for the weekend. I could spend hours standing there, enjoying the nice atmosphere, even so my Catalan is very bad and I can only understand a part of what has been said.


I asked the farmer of this stand if I could make a picture of his vegetables, he looked a bit dazzled at me, but agreed with a smile. Some people out of the line were smiling too, saying that indeed the vegetables look so amazing and need to be photographed.


The guy at the bread stand, was also surprised when I asked him if I could make a picture...he looked at me and asked "Where am I from". I answered "from Germany", he nodded his head and said "Ahhh" and laughed even more...not really sure what it meant, but we both were laughing.


Back home, I found my boys still sleeping, so I had enough time to make some pictures of my newly bought food and prepare the breakfast. I left the arrangement at the kitchen table, as I wanted Pablo to see these gorgeous carrots and bread and the pears.....


As for the breakfast I decided to make salmon sandwiches. The gorgeous cereal bread I bought at the market would go perfect with this..


Salmon sandwich

  • bread (cereal or dark)
  • avocado
  • salmon
  • olive oil
  • black sesame seeds (toasted)
  • zest of a lemon + some lemon juice
Cut bread in slices (not too thin), peel and cut the avocado in slices too. Roast black sesame seeds without any oil in the pan, till the smell of the seeds starts to come, put it aside to cool. Wash the lemon, take the zest and squeeze out some lemon juice.
Put the avocado on bread and salmon on top. Garnish with black sesame seeds and lemon zest. Arrange on the plate and drizzle some olive oil and lemon juice over the sandwiches.


My boys enjoyed the surprises and my husband said that he will always support my "visits to the market"...he promised to stay in bed with Pablo till I return and wake them up for a really gorgeous breakfast :-)

Enjoy!

P.S. These sandwiches can be enjoyed any time of the day...for late breakfast, as small snack during the day or even as nice starter for the dinner served with a glass of cava.....

Comments

Post a Comment